Northern Syria Security Update 07/11/2019
Gizem Okumus, Research Assistant
- In the aftermath of Turkey’s Operation Peace Spring, the security situation in northern Syria has relatively improved but remains volatile. The area is still a conflict zone.
- Syrian Arab Army forces have entered Eastern Qamishli on November 5th, for the first time since 2012. The SAA units have started spreading towards Al-Malikiyah, the eastern end of the Syrian principal, where they will be in close proximity with the returning American forces.
- The Turkish Air Force responded to the PKK / YPG attacks in Tal Tamr and Ayn Issa countryside. On the Regime’s side, there weren’t any significant activities at the Tabqa and Hasakah airbases.
- The second Turkish-Russian joint patrol took place in Ayn al-Arab.
- In Tal Abyad, a car bomb explosion caused several civilian casualties.
- Turkey-backed Syrian National Army and the YPG / PKK militants exchanged fire in northern Raqqa, close to the M4 highway.